Australian Shepherd Rescue Midwest is here to help,
and make that choice easier
Rehoming Your Aussie
We know it’s hard
There are many reasons why people consider giving up their Aussie:
- Unexpected financial difficulties
- Death in the family
- Moving to a new home
- Conflict between pets in the household
- Upcoming birth of a child
- Busy work schedules
- Frustrating pet behavior problems.
Although some of these problems are challenging or seem impossible to overcome, others may be easier to resolve than you think. It’s important to thoroughly consider alternatives to re-homing before making your final decision.
Although some of these problems are challenging or seem impossible to overcome, others may be easier to resolve than you think. It’s important to thoroughly consider alternatives to re-homing before making your final decision. We have been able to offer solutions to families such as a trainer or behaviorist to help with issues.
- When you submit your rehome/surrender request we will review the information and work to find an evaluator to come and meet your Aussie. (We ask you be patient while we work on finding a team member to meet you)
- Once an evaluation is completed we will review and then if your Aussie is a candidate for rescue we will work on a foster home.
- We will ask that if you Aussie is coming in that they if possible be brought up to date on vaccines and also obtain a Heart-Worm test.
- Transportation is then secured.
Please don’t expect us to overnight bring your Aussie into rescue, we are not a shelter with rows and rows of kennels, but a foster based program.
Once your Aussie is in rescue we begin the process of preparing them to have their forever home. This would involve any behavior issues we are aware of or discover, bring up to date on all their shots if they enter without shots. Then we let them become a member of the foster family, doing what a normal dog will do, sleep all day, play in the yard, interact with humans, you name, just what Aussies do.
Sadly you will not, once you sign the release they are now part of Australian Shepherd Rescue Midwest, and to ensure your privacy and the person who adopts we ask that neither party contacts the other. This is a fresh start for you and your Aussie.
Please complete our “Surrender Form”. Please answer all questions truthfully as best you can. If you don’t know the answer, that’s ok, just answer that you don’t know. Please include a photo. We take all sizes of Aussies. While we do take in Aussie mixes, we only take them if they have a strong resemblance to the Australian Shepherd breed standard and we can’t take a Beagle or Lab that you were told was an Aussie mix.
If for some reason your photo won’t upload please email a photo with your name and surrendering (dog’s name) in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please remember we are a non-for-profit organization and we are all volunteers. Someone will contact you as soon as they can.